- •What is already known on this topic: Although many risk factors have been identified for surgical site infection after colorectal surgery, the role of hospital determinants is unknown and no research has been published using the appropriate multi-structured hierarchical data.
- •What this study adds: There is heterogeneity in surgical site infection incidence between hospitals. Known risk factors and hospital dimension explain a substantial part of the variance, yet other variables are required to account for the entire variance of infection incidence.
- •How this study might affect research, practice or policy: Hospital dimension should be considered when establishing goals for infection prevention. Hospital determinants should not be undervalued and should be included in future research to develop optimal strategies for infection prevention and control.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Estimating the proportion of healthcare-associated infections that are reasonably preventable and the related mortality and costs.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 101-114
- Impact of surgical site infection on healthcare costs and patient outcomes: a systematic review in six European countries.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 96: 1-15
- Burden of Six Healthcare-Associated Infections on European Population Health: Estimating Incidence-Based Disability-Adjusted Life Years through a Population Prevalence-Based Modelling Study.PLoS Med. 2016; 13: e1002150
Ministério da Saúde, Direção-Geral da Saúde. Infeções e Resistências aos Antimicrobianos: Relatório Anual do Programa Prioritário 2018.
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Healthcare-associated infections: surgical site infections. In: ECDC. Annual epidemiological report for 2017. Stockholm: ECDC; 2019.
- Guideline for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 247-280
- Risk factors for surgical site infection in patients undergoing colorectal surgery: A meta-analysis of observational studies.PLoS One. 2021; 16: e0259107
- Hospital ownership: a risk factor for nosocomial infection rates?.J Hosp Infect. 2018; 100: 76-82
- Surgical site infection risk factors identified for patients undergoing colon procedures, New York State 2009-2010.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 1006-1012
- Key factors associated with postoperative complications in patients undergoing colorectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2013; 56: 64-71
- Keep Calm and Learn Multilevel Logistic Modeling: A Simplified Three-Step Procedure Using Stata, R, Mplus, and SPSS.International Review of Social Psychology. 2017; 30: 203-218
- A brief conceptual tutorial of multilevel analysis in social epidemiology: linking the statistical concept of clustering to the idea of contextual phenomenon.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2005; 59: 443-449
- Intermediate and advanced topics in multilevel logistic regression analysis.Statist. Med. 2017; 36: 3257-3277
- Identifying new risk factors for Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia in intensive care units: experience of the French national surveillance, REA-RAISIN.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 79: 44-48
- A multicentre analysis of catheter-related infection based on a hierarchical model.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 1662-1672
- Multilevel modelling of the prevalence of hospitalized patients infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Epidemiol Infect. 2011; 139: 886-894
- Which Kind of Provider's Operation Volumes Matters? Associations between CABG Surgical Site Infection Risk and Hospital and Surgeon Operation Volumes among Medical Centers in Taiwan.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0129178
- Improving prediction of surgical site infection risk with multilevel modeling.PLoS One. 2014; 9e95295
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Surveillance of surgical site infections and prevention indicators in European hospitals - HAI-Net SSI protocol, version 2.2. Stockholm: ECDC; 2017.
Doyle DJ, Goyal A, Bansal P, et al. American Society of Anesthesiologists Classification. [Updated 2021 Oct 9]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441940/.
- Improving risk-adjusted measures of surgical site infection for the national healthcare safety network.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 970-986
Norma nº 031/2013 de 31 de dezembro, atualizada a 18 de dezembro de 2014. Direção-Geral da saúde.
Administração Central do Sistema de Saúde. Benchmarking hospitais: Abordagem Metodológica. https://benchmarking-acss.min-saude.pt/BH_Enquadramento/AbordagemMetodologica (Last accessed on March 29th, 2022).
Portal Mais Transparência. Sobre o Portal. https://transparencia.gov.pt/sobre-o-portal (Last accessed on March 30th, 2022).
Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian. STOP infeção hospitalar! Um desafio Gulbenkian 2018.
Portal Mais Transparência. Taxa de Ocupação Hospitalar. https://transparencia.sns.gov.pt/explore/dataset/ocupacao-do-internamento/information/?disjunctive.regiao&disjunctive.instituicao&sort=tempo (Last accessed on March 30th, 2022).
- The (mis)estimation of neighborhood effects: causal inference for a practicable social epidemiology.Soc Sci Med. 2004; 58: 1929-1952
- A brief conceptual tutorial of multilevel analysis in social epidemiology: using measures of clustering in multilevel logistic regression to investigate contextual phenomena.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2006; 60: 290-297
- Beyond the operating room: do hospital characteristics have an impact on surgical site infections after colorectal surgery? A systematic review.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2021; 10: 139
- Bundles Prevent Surgical Site Infections After Colorectal Surgery: Meta-analysis and Systematic Review.J Gastrointest Surg. 2017; 21: 1915-1930
- Colorectal bundles for surgical site infection prevention: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 805-812
- Do surgical care bundles reduce the risk of surgical site infections in patients undergoing colorectal surgery? A systematic review and cohort meta-analysis of 8,515 patients.Surgery. 2015; 158: 66-77
Direção-Geral de Saúde. Norma 020/2015 de 15 de dezembro. "Feixe de Intervenções" de Prevenção de Infeção de Local Cirúrgico.
- American College of Surgeons and Surgical Infection Society: Surgical Site Infection Guidelines, 2016 Update.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 224: 59-74
- Patient and hospital characteristics that influence incidence of adverse events in acute public hospitals in Portugal: a retrospective cohort study.Int J Qual Health Care. 2018; 30: 132-137
- The Impact of Sample Size and Other Factors When Estimating Multilevel Logistic Models.The Journal of Experimental Education. 2015; 84: 373-397